We process your personal information only for the following purposes: vehicle service reminders, warranty services, market research, providing updates on network dealer changes, respond to general enquiries and requests sent to us, product recalls, marketing analytics and personalised communications and direct marketing.
As part of our processing for these purposes, we share your information with suppliers who act on our behalf for services such as database management, IT support, website support and marketing services.
This Policy explains what data we process, why, how it is legal and your rights.
How to contact us
If you would like to get in touch with Mazda UK, to amend any personal details, amend any marketing preferences or for any other queries, please use the following details:
Customer Relations Team,
Mazda Motors UK Limited
Crossways Business Park
Telephone: 03457 48 48 48
For any other matters, please contact our Data Protection Officer as below:
Mazda UK DPO
50 Brook Street
What information do we collect?
The personal information provided by you to us falls within the following categories:
- Contact details - Includes your full name, address, contact information including telephone and email address details.
- Website, electronic communications and app device usage – We will collect information such as if you open or engage with our email communications or if you use the Mazda website platforms: www.mazda.co.uk, www.mazdamyway.co.uk, online brochures or if you have registered an account on the My Mazda ownership App or the ‘My Garage’ account (on the Mazdamyway.co.uk site), we will collect usage and online behaviour information through cookies, your IP address or other tracking technologies such as pages visited, where you joined our site from, the path you take through our sites and where you leave, browser, type of device and how long you visited for including collecting your mobile device location details (if permitted within the App settings). You can read more about the respective cookie policies on www.mazda.co.uk/cookies or www.mazdamyway.co.uk/cookies/.
- Call Tracking, Call Recordings & Live Chat – we will collect any personal data provided to us as part of the live chat services and we will track calls and record calls for quality and monitoring purposes.
If you become a Mazda owner, we will collect the following categories:
- Customer services - We will also collect additional information about you and your vehicle when you contact our customer relations centre (including queries or complaints).
- Dealer information – We will collect information about the dealership who you purchase your car from as well as the dealership who you service your car with (if different)
- Vehicle Information - including VIN, registration number and registration date, make/ model, warranty repair information as well as security etching (unique security code etched onto the windows linking both you and your car to the International Security Register (ISR).
In addition, for servicing only, we will collect service information such as date and time you used our services within our dealer network as well as latest mileage information which is used to help determine the optimum time for your next service. We will also collect technical vehicle information about how the engine and systems within the vehicle perform including on-board diagnostics data as well as, if relevant, the location of where the fault has occurred.
How do we use your information and lawful basis for processing
We use your personal data for the following purposes and we are allowed to do so, on certain legal bases which are outlined below.
- Legitimate Interests – We are permitted to process your personal data below if it is based on our ‘legitimate interests’ i.e. we have good, sensible, practical reasons for processing your personal data which is in the interest of Mazda UK. To do so, we have considered the impact on your interests and rights, and have placed appropriate safeguards to ensure that the intrusion on your privacy is reduced as much as possible.
Our legitimate interest in processing the personal data below for the purpose specified is to provide you with useful services and information. We only use your personal data for the purposes specified and process personal data that is necessary for these purposes:
- Customer Requests – To fulfil requests you submit to us such a test drive, service request, brochure request or other type of request submitted through Mazda web platforms or app and will be transferred to your selected Mazda dealer or the Mazda My Way team to fulfil the request.
- Warranty and Roadside Assistance Services - If you have purchased a new Mazda vehicle, you will receive a Mazda Welcome Pack including a Mazda Roadside Assistance card and when you are nearing the end of the three years the Mazda roadside assistance and warranty service provider will communicate with you to let you know the options available to you at the end of this period.
- Service history – Mazda UK provide a secure online database, where your entire service history (inspections and services) is stored and you will receive vehicle service reminders (based on mileage provided at each service) to ensure you are aware of when your vehicle is due its regular service.
- Security Etching – This is provided for new car owners only, to assist you by deterring vehicle theft and cloning as well as improving the chances of recovering stolen vehicles.
- Vehicle and product quality support – To fulfil services relating to vehicle warranty, technical inspection and resolution support as well as to support product quality and development purposes.
- Customer Support – We will use your data in order to provide customer support and administration to process any goodwill claims and to resolve any complaint or queries.
- Network Dealer changes - We will update you on changes to our dealer network, where relevant.
Our legitimate interest in processing the personal data below with its respective purposes is to provide effective customer relationship management:
- Dealership and Product Research – We will use your purchase information to understand you better as a customer, find out what you think of our services delivered by the Mazda dealer network and our vehicle range to ensure we understand how to deliver an exceptional customer service and product range.
- Quality and Training – We will track and record voice calls and retain live chat records for quality and training monitoring purposes for our dealer network, the agency providing live chat services as well as our Mazda UK Customer Relations Team, if you contact us via those channels
- Marketing analytics, website improvements and personalised communications – we will use your data (some which may not identify you directly) on our website and app platforms in order to monitor visitor numbers, engagement levels in order to improve website services, to ensure you receive relevant and personalised communications as well as to review the effectiveness of our marketing to help improve the services we provide.
- Warranty and Roadside Assistance services: If you have purchased a new Mazda vehicle, Mazda UK will process your warranty related data (which includes Vehicle Information) in order to fulfil the warranty and free of charge roadside assistance for 3 years (from the original date of the registration of the vehicle).
- Mazda unlimited mileage warranty and pan-European roadside assistance: If you have purchased a used Mazda vehicle from a Mazda authorised dealership we will process your warranty related data (which includes Vehicle Information) to provide you with 12 months of Mazda unlimited mileage warranty and 12 months pan-European roadside assistance.
- Marketing Communications - Where you have given us consent to do so, we will get in touch to provide you with information on relevant Mazda UK products and services as well as latest news such as all new models, promotions and events. Don’t worry we won’t bombard you and you will always have the option to opt out of any further marketing communications. (See How you can amend your preferences later)
- Market Research – we will contact you from time to time to invite you to participate in market research studies such as mystery shopping or other types of research.
- Push notifications – if you have registered for the My Mazda app, you can opt in to push notifications for example to remind you there is a service due on your car.
- Legal Obligation
- Registration of your vehicle – Your data will be inputted into the Registration system in order to register your car with the DVLA.
- Recalls – If we are legally required to carry out products recalls, we will use your contact details to contact you to inform you of any relevant recalls.
- Requests from authorities - We will share your personal data with the police, other law enforcements or regulators where we are required by law to do so.
Who will handle your data?
We will never sell your information to third parties and will only provide your data to the third parties as detailed above to fulfil the relevant services. Mazda UK uses the following Mazda entities as processors to provide certain services and have access to your personal data in the process:
Who information is shared with
Mazda Motor Europe GmbH – Database management services
- Contact details
- Customer services
- Dealer information
- Vehicle Information
Mazda Motor Corporation - Vehicle and product quality support
Mazda UK will ensure that all processors (e.g. IT hosting, database management, customer contact providers, security etching, warranty and roadside assistance providers, marketing fulfilment, Mazda dealers) who are handling your data comply with the Data Protection Laws and that data is only stored within the EEA, where possible. Mazda UK has agreed for your data to be transferred to countries outside of the EEA to fulfil specific processing. To comply with the Data Protection Laws, all our processors, for example, are required to provide evidence that they have the relevant levels of operational security measures put in place to protect your data and we have an audit process in place to ensure these processors comply with their obligations.
How long do we keep your information for?
Where we are storing website data against unique ID’s as this data is processed in a way that does not identify you as an individual this data will be kept indefinitely for historical reporting purposes.
Call tracking and recordings are kept for no longer than 6 months and for the live chat service we will collect any personal information that you provide as part of the live chat will be stored for up to 6 months to enable us to fulfil your enquiry.
We will hold your personal data for 6 months if you have submitted a request for information e.g. test drive or brochure for any Mazda products or services, in order to fulfil the request and will hold this data for a further 4 years from the original date of the request in order to continue to communicate Mazda products and services, where consent is provided.
If your relationship changes and you become a Mazda owner, we will hold your personal data for as long as you own a Mazda car and up to 7 years from when we are aware that you no longer own your car to ensure we are able to deal with any queries you may have on your Mazda or to support any legal claims process. We may hold this data for a longer period, if we are legally required to do so.
How you can amend your marketing preferences
If you do wish to stop receiving communications from Mazda UK, you can do this in the following ways:
- Unsubscribe easily from any marketing email by clicking the unsubscribe link within the email
- Opt out of any marketing communication channels. Please contact the Mazda Customer Relations team via firstname.lastname@example.org or call the team on 03457 48 48 48 so your preferences can be updated.
- My Mazda App – if you are registered for the My Mazda app you can also change any of your details or amend your marketing preferences within the app.
Under the Data Protection Laws you have the following rights in relation to your personal data :
- Right to object to processing of your personal data
- Right to request a copy of your personal data and information on how we process it
- Right to request to move, copy or transfer your personal data (data portability)
- Right for your personal data to be erased
- Right for your personal data to be corrected in a timely manner
- Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
- Right to restrict your personal data being processed
To exercise your rights please contact the Mazda UK Data Protection Officer using the contact details provided in the section headed "How to Contact Us". We will ask you for information to confirm your identity and we will then respond to your request within 30 days from when we have received your request.
As a UK Company, MMUK's local supervisory authority is the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). Please visit the ICO website (www.ico.org.uk) for more details. You have a right to complain to the ICO if you believe your personal data has or is being used in a way that you believe does not comply with the Data Protection Laws.